What is the school / college nurse service?
It is a FREE, confidential, informal, contraception and sexual health clinic that is run in schools, colleges and sometimes youth clubs and community centres.
The nurses that run the program are very supportive, confidential and are there to help you with any questions, information or support you may need.
What can you get from visiting a nurse at your youth club, school, college or community centre?
- Confidential information, support and advice about relationships and safe sex.
- Information about contraceptive choices and supply of the contraceptive pill, progestrogen only pill and the contraceptive injection.
- C Cards
- Emergency Contraception
- Advice and information on sexually transmitted infections
- Self testing for Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea
- Prescribe treatment for some sexually transmitted infections
- Pregnancy testing
- Support and information on the options available for someone who is pregnant and a referral to the appropriate service
You can go to any school nurse for confidential help and advice about any issues.
Fact: After binge drinking, one in seven 16 - 24 year olds have had unprotected sex, one in five have had sex they later regretted and one in ten have been unable to remember if they had sex the night before.